Search This Blog

Friday, September 5, 2008

I'm in the loop!

Okay, so I've been completely out of the technology loop since the whole texting, IMing, and blogging thing began. My mom actually taught ME how to text, which is extremely embarassing. It was at that point that I came to realize I needed to get in the groove. So here I am. Now what??!

I've been busy having babies, I guess. I know, that's no excuse. But it's been my excuse the last four years. My time has been filled with reading parenting books instead of reading novels, organizing books and toys rather than organizing my thoughts, making spinach brownies instead of sushi (but I DO love that Deceptively Delicious cookbook!!!!), and exercising my play dough sculpting skills in lieu of my graduate degree. I'm not the least bit bitter or regretful, I'm actually quite thankful for the opportunity to raise my children with our family values and see all of their firsts.

My husband is in the military and travels often, so of course the best thing is for our children to have at least one stable parent who is home. However, I have been neglecting "me time," so that whole stable thing is not so true. Thankfully, I do not compromise my daily workouts. I am completely dedicated to exercising- it's the source of my sanity, as it relieves my stress and makes up for the lack of sleep that is inevitible at this time in my life. (Plus, it helps balance out my craze for chocolate. )

Tons of caretakers are so gifted at doing it all- juggling work, kids, husband, sports, friends, religion, community service. I am in awe of these men and women. Clearly, I am not one of them. I am one of those OCD type moms that focuses on ridiculous tasks like completly finishing the laundry, having every toy and book categorized or alphetized, and ensuring there is not a trace of crumb or dish in the sink or on the counter. Clearly not realistic goals for moms with toddlers (especially mine.) While I struggle for total organization and control of the household (and my children), I have noticed that my husband and many others actually can survive in a world where there is a bit of clutter and maybe some chaos every now and then.

Maybe this alternative life is one where I can live too! So this month is a trial to see if I can handle living with a little less control and a lot more flexibility. I'm blogging to see if anyone else out there has my same crazy control issues, and maybe there are some helpful suggestions to the balancing act that most every busy mom does every day. (Also, if this relaxed state doesn't work for me, I have proof for my mother who has limitless "suggestions" and husband who doesn't know stress that I actually did make an attempt to be normal.)

To start, I'm reserving a little time every day to a) read a non-parenting book or the newspaper (not just the headlines), b) leave the house without the children, c) work on one of my ambitious craft projects, or d) take a bath. (Okay, so maybe it's a little too "structured" for achieving that relaxed state, but I really do work best with lists.)

How hard can that be, right? Well, today's shot....I guess I'll have to start tomorrow.

No comments: