Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Brrrrrr

Today was the first day that a jacket was absolutely necessary. I couldn't believe it! It's only October, and it's 40 degrees! I think it was so hard to endure because I spoke with a girlfriend in L.A. who said it was 95 there. I guess that gives us both something to complain about.


I'm happy to report I was motivated to clean for the first time in 10 weeks. It's like magic once you hit your second trimester! I feel my OCD returning, in a good way. (Do you know I did 5 loads of laundry yesterday? Ridiculous!) The past few weeks, all I could do was keep things tidy. I avoided all major cleaning tasks- my fridge, my oven, the garage...but today Caroline slept in and I had an hour to kill before personal training. I felt like supermom! (Maybe Owen's "superhero" party this weekend inspired me?)

Because of the weather, I decided it was necessary to make some homemade bread and soup. I resorted to my favorite soda bread recipe. (It's the best because you don't have to let it rise, so you can start it at 4 and it'll be ready in time for dinner.) Isn't bread the BEST smell from your oven? Mmmmm. (Recipe follows.)


NE who, I feel so good about my accomplishments that tonight I"m turning in early with a new book! Woo hoo!

Soda Bread
2c Whole wheat flour, sifted
2c Bread flour
2 T superfine sugar
2t salt
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 egg (or egg product), beaten
1 3/4 cup low fat or nonfat plain yogurt (you can use vanilla yogurt, just omit the sugar listed)

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Beat yogurt and egg in a separate bowl and add to dry mixture. Turn onto floured surface and knead until no longer sticky. Shape into a large round, and place on a baking sheet. Using a serrated knife, make an "X" approximately 1 inch deep. Place in preheated 375 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until brown on top. Serve with herb butter.

Garlic Basil Herb Butter (Soooo scrummy!)
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced (depending on how garlicky you like it)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, minced

Combine ingredients and shape into a ball. Refrigerate at least 2 hrs before serving.

No comments: