Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Maternity clothes that rock!

I'm finding out that in my third pregnancy, some things are just not as easy as they were the first two times around...maybe it's because I'm older. Maybe my abs have lost all strength. Or maybe my body was not prepared to endure more than two years of being pregnant.

I say this because my belly button has already popped out, and I"m only just beginning my second trimester. What's the deal with that??!?!! I haven't gained more than 3 or 4 pounds...so it's not like my belly is bursting. But I suspect that this may be the child that gives me stretch marks, which I always thought I was soooo clever in avoiding. With the idea from my sister in law, I devotedly smeared "Bag Balm" all over my stomach, lower back, and upper thighs every night during my second and third trimester. What, you ask, is Bag Balm? My OB had the same question a few years back, upon lifting my shirt to measure my fundus and seeing a very odd "sheen" not unlike the reflection a bald man has on his head. First, don't laugh...because it's worked so far. And for someone tiny who had two good sized babies (8 11 and 7 11), I think I had more than luck on my side (and belly and back.)

Bag Balm is this ointment created to keep cow udders from getting chapped in the winter weather. I told you not to laugh! Someone from Vermont or some other really cold place invented it. It comes in a green tin, and it feels exactly like Vaseline...maybe that's what it is. The most embarrassing part of it is that you can find this product in the "pet" section of Walmart. I had always bought it at CVS.com but came across it accidentally one time looking for a pet bed or Greenies or something. However ridiculous it sounds, this goo saved my body from permanently stretching as these babies were distorting my waist. So, I bought another tin last week. Ooo, BTW, it's also great for diaper rashes- Caroline has THE most sensitive skin, I've tried every diaper rash cream on the market and this is the only one that works and doesn't irritate her skin.

So now that I"ve disclosed something a bit humiliating, I'll share the link to a wonderful line of maternity clothes- sophisticated, sexy, and comfy! Many of the styles are wrapped and fitted, which is really the only way a pregnant body can manage to still pass for a version of its original prepregnancy form. Isabella Oliver Maternity:
http://www.isabellaoliver.com/maternity-clothes

No comments: