Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fiesta!

So Tuesday nights I usually make Mexican food. We all love Mexican, and when PR and I lived in San Diego, we would go to a place that had "Taco Tuesdays-" $1.50 for shrimp or lobster tacos (yum!!!) I've been craving the super yummy freshly made tortillas from the Chevy's restaurant...however, we don't have one close so I found a copycat recipe and made them tonight to go with our mahi mahi fish fajitas. Honestly, I could eat a whole stack of those tortillas with a little butter and salt. But now that I know there's Crisco in them...well, I have to limit myself to two, and fill them with veggies and protein so my tummy doesn't beg for more. They are super easy to make, so I thought I'd post the recipe for others to enjoy.
Chevy's Tortillas
6 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup crisco (I use the butter flavor)
2 1/2 cups very warm water
In a mixing bowl with the bread hook attachment, add all ingredients except the water. Turn mixer on low and gradually add the water, mixing 1-2 minutes. Divide into two balls and cover. Let rest 20 minutes. Divide each ball again, and form 4 tortillas 1/4 inch thick and 5 inches in diameter from each ball, for a total of 16 tortillas. Lay flat on a floured surce, stack if necessary. Let rise 10 minutes. Cook on a hot greased griddle until bubbly and lightly brown. Serve warm.

Monday was a little exciting...I had my first ultrasound! My midwife thought I might be carrying (gasp!) twins and scheduled me for an early ultrasound. Of course, I just KNEW God would not dish out two to me, as I would surely lose my mind within the first month. The test confirmed my suspicions. And, it was pretty cool to see the baby in 3D! I wasn't really sure how much better of an image you can get with the 3D and 4D, but I'd have to say that it's pretty cool! After the test, I started thinking. Why am I so big? Does this mean I'm destined to gain 70 pounds with this bambino? It was enough to send me straight to the gym this morning. And I"m happy to report I swam for an entire hour. (Glad I dodged THAT bullet!)


1 comment:

Jaime said...

Sounds yummy. I'll have to try them. :)